Since the time of its foundation, IEA participated in the development and implementation of a number of projects of state importance.
The main projects developed and implementedare:
- Basics of Azerbaijan Energy Development for Period through 2010
- Application of Solar Collectors in Power Supply
- Feasibility Study of Wind-Electric Conversion Systems for Offshore Oil Platforms in Azerbaijan (in cooperation with Trento University, Italy)
- Automated Energy Supply, Conditioning and Regular Microclimate Controlling Systems
- Assessment of Radio-Ecological Situation in the Absheron Peninsula in Association with Oil&Gas Exploration and Production
- Key Directions of National Scientific Programme “Radon” for 1998-2010 years
- Remediation of the Absheron Oil Contaminated Soils
- Assessment and Monitoring of Toxico-Radio-Ecological Situation during Oil & Gas Fields’ Development in the Caspian Contract Area
- Ecotoxicological Regulation of Discharges to the Caspian Sea
- Protection of Population from Harmful Impact of Radon and Radio-Nuclides
- Assessment of Current Environmental Situation on Zykh-Govsany Oil Field in the Absheron Peninsula
- Air Quality Control in Azerbaijan (in cooperation with DBG company, Germany)
- Seismic Risk Study in Baku City (in cooperation with Japanese Kobe University)
- Feasibility study of Azerigas Modernization Project for Integrated SCADA System (in cooperation with Toyo Engineering Corporation and Osaka Gas Engineering Co. Ltd.)
- Hydro-Hydrogen Pilot Project for Guba-Khachmaz Region, Azerbaijan Republic (in cooperation with UNIDO-ICHET)
- Use of Hybrid Alternative Energy Systems in Mountainous Khinalig Village, Guba region, Azerbaijan
A number of projects have been developed upon request from clients, including:
- “Development of Large-Scale Electronic Maps (1:10000) of Oil-Contaminated Soils of the Absheron Peninsula”. The Project was implemented within the framework of Action Plan under the Presidential Decree from 28 September 2006 (client-SOCAR)
- “Environmental Impact Assessment and Development of Ecological Passport of Two Administrative Districts of Baku” (client – “Lukoil-Azerbaijan” JSC)
- “Assessment of Current Environmental Situation on Zykh-Govsany Oil Field in the Absheron Peninsula” (client – “Lukoil-Azerbaijan” JSC)
- “Building Radiation Safety” – within the project on Development of Azerbaijan Republic’s State Construction Standards and Norms (client- Azerbaijan State Committee for Construction and Architecture)
- Quality Assurance for Radio-Nuclide Studies along the Chirag-Sangachal Pipeline, around Chirag 1Y, GChA, and GChA-6 Oil Wells (client- BP Azerbaijan)
- Environmental Monitoring of Asbestos Disposal Sites (client- ERT Ltd., UK)
- Radioecological situation assessment on the Absheron peninsula caused by oil field exploration and development (client –SOCAR)
- Study and development of a technology for the cleaning of the produced water and sewage from oil, oil products and phenols in Offshore Oil and Gas Production Association (client –SOCAR)
- Environmental monitoring on “Kelameddin-Mishovdag” Contract area (client -“Karasu” Operating Company).
- A big deal of works was carried out under the project “Development of Large-Scale Electronic Maps (1:10000) of Oil-Contaminated Soils of the Absheron Peninsula” implemented within the framework of Action Plan under the Presidential Decree from 28 September 2006.
Interactive model of the Absheron oil fields’ map prepared for the development of electronic maps of oil-contaminated soils
A map of heavy metal pollution of Absheron oil fields
A map of pollution of Balakhani oil field by phenols
“Hydro-Hydrogen Pilot Project” developed on the basis of cooperation with UNIDO-ICHET is one of the important steps of IEA towards renewable energy development.
The Niyazoba Hydro-Hydrogen Project will be located in Niyazoba village, Khachmas district of Kuba-Khachmas region, Azerbaijan Republic.
The main purpose of this project is to demonstrate perspectives of using the energy generated by intermittent renewable sources such as hydropower. Two hydropower stations each 1 MW are planned in Niyazoba village in the Kuba-Khachmas region of Azerbaijan Republic due to the difficulties of matching energy generation with local electricity demand. 1500 kWt will be enough to meet local requirements. The excess of energy produced at hydropower plants – 500 kWt will be stored for the production of hydrogen by electrolysis for later use. The long term goal of the project is to demonstrate the compatibility of hydrogen technologies with renewable energy generation, and act as a model for further cogeneration plants.
Kuba-Khachmas region is situated in the Northern part of Azerbaijan bordering with Russian Federation. This is one of the large agricultural regions and recreation centers of the republic in the Caspian coast. According to newly adopted governmental program on the development of tourism and recreation zones, one of the 5 tourist routes is situated in this region.
Based on the above mentioned, we can say that significant demand will be for hydrogen in Kuba-Khachmas zone in the future.